Discovering knowledge from big multivariate data, recorded every days, requires specialized machine learning techniques.
This book presents an easy to use practical guide in R to compute the most popular machine learning methods for exploring real word data sets, as well as, for building predictive models.
The main parts of the book include:
A) Unsupervised learning methods, to explore and discover knowledge from a large multivariate data set using clustering and principal component methods. You will learn hierarchical clustering, k-means, principal component analysis and correspondence analysis methods.
B) Regression analysis, to predict a quantitative outcome value using linear regression and non-linear regression strategies.
C) Classification techniques, to predict a qualitative outcome value using logistic regression, discriminant analysis, naive bayes classifier and support vector machines.
D) Advanced machine learning methods, to build robust regression and classification models using k-nearest neighbors methods, decision tree models, ensemble methods (bagging, random forest and boosting).
E) Model selection methods, to select automatically the best combination of predictor variables for building an optimal predictive model. These include, best subsets selection methods, stepwise regression and penalized regression (ridge, lasso and elastic net regression models). We also present principal component-based regression methods, which are useful when the data contain multiple correlated predictor variables.
F) Model validation and evaluation techniques for measuring the performance of a predictive model.
G) Model diagnostics for detecting and fixing a potential problems in a predictive model.
The book presents the basic principles of these tasks and provide many examples in R. This book offers solid guidance in data mining for students and researchers.
- Covers machine learning algorithm and implementation
- Key mathematical concepts are presented
- Short, self-contained chapters with practical examples.
Recommended for you
This section contains best data science and self-development resources to help you on your path.
Coursera - Online Courses and Specialization
- Course: Machine Learning: Master the Fundamentals by Standford
- Specialization: Data Science by Johns Hopkins University
- Specialization: Python for Everybody by University of Michigan
- Courses: Build Skills for a Top Job in any Industry by Coursera
- Specialization: Master Machine Learning Fundamentals by University of Washington
- Specialization: Statistics with R by Duke University
- Specialization: Software Development in R by Johns Hopkins University
- Specialization: Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University
Popular Courses Launched in 2020
- Google IT Automation with Python by Google
- AI for Medicine by deeplearning.ai
- Epidemiology in Public Health Practice by Johns Hopkins University
- AWS Fundamentals by Amazon Web Services
- The Science of Well-Being by Yale University
- Google IT Support Professional by Google
- Python for Everybody by University of Michigan
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate by IBM
- Business Foundations by University of Pennsylvania
- Introduction to Psychology by Yale University
- Excel Skills for Business by Macquarie University
- Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University
- Graphic Design by Cal Arts
Books - Data Science
- Practical Guide to Cluster Analysis in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- Practical Guide To Principal Component Methods in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- Machine Learning Essentials: Practical Guide in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- R Graphics Essentials for Great Data Visualization by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- GGPlot2 Essentials for Great Data Visualization in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- Network Analysis and Visualization in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- Practical Statistics in R for Comparing Groups: Numerical Variables by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- Inter-Rater Reliability Essentials: Practical Guide in R by A. Kassambara (Datanovia)
- R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data by Hadley Wickham & Garrett Grolemund
- Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques to Build Intelligent Systems by Aurelien Géron
- Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts by Peter Bruce & Andrew Bruce
- Hands-On Programming with R: Write Your Own Functions And Simulations by Garrett Grolemund & Hadley Wickham
- An Introduction to Statistical Learning: with Applications in R by Gareth James et al.
- Deep Learning with R by François Chollet & J.J. Allaire
- Deep Learning with Python by François Chollet